Tuesday 13 September 2011

Cracking the Code

Dear Jen,

Just try and remember that uber friendly Jen is only annoying to YOU--and probably because it tuckers you out. I'm tuckered out just thinking of all the polite conversation I'm going to be forced to have with other adults! I'll be honest--I've been to this one park a couple times, and saw other moms there, and thought, "I'm just too tired today." and then consciously entered avoiding-eye-contact pretending-to-be-attentive-to-my-baby mode. If I fail and our eyes do meet I might give a little smile. But the problem is my brain is so exhausted I have nothing witty to break the silence with. So I don't.

WHAT? I'm unpacking. You don't even know what it's like. ;)

I can't believe I just emoticon-ed a blog post. Shameful. Why isn't there a "sarcasm" button up there? It should be right next to B for bold I for italics and U for underline. S for sarcastic!

Anyway, I have a sad story too. First I'll say that on Sunday Evelyn complained of a headache, and went so far as to ask daddy for a blessing to make it go away. We realized that the headache was from new experience overload stress. She had a really rough time at church this week. Her fever didn't help, but she also really hated the new environment. The next day, after insisting for weeks that she hates Sister Coleman (her Chilliwack nursery leader), she said to me, "Mom, I just want to play with Zach and sister Coleman because I like them!" It was her desperate plea for normalcy and familiarity. The past few days without internet or phone were particularly difficult because Evelyn would constantly ask me to talk to Zach on the phone! Today she had a break down because she decided that her new queen sized bed (that the landlords left for us) was no good and she wanted her old bed.

Moving is rough on kids! How did my parents do it so many times?

It's alright though. I am making progress on cracking the Truro code--finding out all the hot spots. I have a lead: Maggie's Place! Looks like it's got a similar mandate to Family Place, although they only have a playgroup once a week. Whatever, good enough for me. You have to call in advance every week to sign up though...and it's tomorrow...but I'm hoping to get in! Also maybe these people can tell me where some more parks are, because I have only seen that one, and it is no good for mr. Gavin.

Anyway, I find this exciting! Plus I joined a Truro mom's group on FB. I'll be the 9th member, and it isn't a playgroup, but people post info on community programs for kids and such. And maybe I will connect with playgroup-interested parties on there, who knows! That's how I learned about Maggie's Place, as a matter of fact. Very promising!

I'm trying very hard to use my new-move energy effectively this time around. I know in a couple months I am likely to run out of steam and go into a funk for a few weeks. I'm hoping that maybe if I work really hard at meeting people and familiarizing myself with my community right now that I'll eliminate the funk period. Another place on my hit list is the library--which incidentally is just a couple blocks behind my house!

I'm trying to stay positive, Jen. I feel like this move could be smoother than the last if I work hard. Wish me luck.

Love, Jacqui.

PS I heard a good piece of wisdom yesterday: If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything!

No comments: