Sunday 4 September 2011

Day 5 - Off the Wagon

Dear Jacqui,

I bought something on Tuesday.

Something new.

The worst part is that I didn't even enjoy it.  Zach was naked... Masen was crying... I was trying to decide if I should just buy the cheapest thing, or actually find something I liked... while trying to get the "one best deal".

Let's back up a bit...

Tuesday we went to meet up with some of our old Babes at my friend Carrie's house.  After everyone left, I decided to stick around to spend a bit of time actually visiting with her.  (Hard to do in a group)

Her yard locks, so we were inside with the babies, (watching through the window) while Z & her daughter played in the yard.  A bit later, her husband comes home and starts putsing around outside - presumably watching the kids.

Let's back up a bit more...

Did I mention it was flippin' cold in E-town?  Like freezing at night and 10ish degrees during the day?

Did I also mention that I am irresponsible and brought along no pants for my children so I was forced to go to the Village to buy them each a pair?

Did I also, also mention that there were actually no pants in Z's size, so I had to buy him a pair of jean overalls which in my head he would love although they made him look completely ridiculous?

Did I mention he hated them and screamed like a maniac every time I put them on him?  (Which has nothing to do with the story, but I thought you'd find interesting...)

No?  Well, now you know.

So Z is playing in the back yard in his dorky jean overalls, and Carrie's husband is outside.  I (because I can't resist myself) peek outside to see Z running around.  In the pool.  Full of water.

Did I mention that we were supposed to meet my parents for dinner in the Park? 

And that we were 30ish minutes from where we were staying? 

And that I didn't have any "back up pants" ummm... anywhere?

No?  Well, now you know.

So, I take his soaking wet jean overalls off and stick them in Carrie's dryer... not really considering that there is no chance in the world that they will be even slightly dry in 30 minutes.

While I am doing this, Zach lays down in the pool, soaking his gonche and shirt.

I take that off him, stick it in the dryer and put Masen's diaper on it sans liner.

He pees.  (I cry)

At this point there is no way that I will be able to go back to where we are staying to change him and then make it back for dinner with my parents.

There is also no way that his clothes will dry out.

I also have no more diapers for Masen.  (In my head, Z would wear it until his gonche was dry and then I would still be able to put it on M... gross I know, but seriously, what were my options?!)

My insecurities creep up and I start wondering if Carrie is secretly happy that we moved away so that she doesn't have to regularly deal with us, or if she is just happy that it's my kid... this time.

Carrie interupts my mind-babbling by handing me a Princess Pull-Up which Zach is all too happy to wear and (oh, so thankfully!) a "back-up" diaper for Masen.  (Then she says "don't worry about it!  Just glad it's not me!" which makes me want to hug her)

I put Z's hoody on him.  And his crocs.

We head to the mall with 6 minutes to spare.

Children's Place calls my name.

My senses are ignited as I breath in all the fresh fabric, and finger the soft cotton.  Color surrounds me.

I feel conflicted as I decide what to purchase, all the while completely conscious of my Princess Pull Up Prince running around in his crocs and hoody.

I settle on a pair of navy blue sweat pants and a t-shirt and wrestle mixed emotions about buying a rain jacket for next year.  ('Cause by the time he wears it, this whole "buying nothing new" thing will be done so does it really matter?  Ummm... yes... yes it does.)

As I pay the lady, my elation ceases and I am left feeling forlorn.

My only consolation is that I ignored all burning desire within me and didn't purchase Masen a matching tshirt. 

Does that counteract my initial (essential!) purchase?

Or should I have just taken him to dinner in the hoody?... And pull-up.

Love, Jen

P.S.  Would a video of me listening to the song make it sincere?

P.P.S.  I brought you back some apples from E-town.  When should I bring them by? 

No comments: