Tuesday 11 October 2011

Babes with Babes Truro Branch: Yellow Band Babes

Dear Jen,

Well, I finally did it. I got my act together and made a Babes playgroup! I tried searching for one, and found only a "moms" group, whose function appears only to be to inform moms about organized activites around town, and their sign-up days. Useful, indeed. But not a playgroup. I also thought for a while that the local non-profit-run Maggie's Place playgroups would suffice, and I had only to wait it out a little until I made some friends. But then I realized a couple things: I like the outdoors, and Evelyn needs friends now.

So this morning as I lay in bed listening to Gavin cry on and off for an entire hour (I am devoted to not getting him up before 6:00. I even resolved to get up with him at that hour and feed him cow's milk downstairs instead of bringing him into bed to breastfeed him. I have this wild hope that if I treat him more like a toddler then he'll start acting more like a toddler and sleep till appropriate hours of the morning. Updates to come on that one...) I had an epiphanical moment. I realized that it was time to make the Facebook group, and it was time to advertise on Kijiji. I spent that hour considering the day and time, and fleshing out all the dirty little details.

Alright! So here it is: Yellow Band Babes with Babes Check it out! You should be soo proud. I've stolen the format of your excellent playgroup and adjusted it to Truro life--adding what I felt was one really excellent element: the yellow headband. It's a good idea, right? I love it. It's not like I have to wear a uniform or stupid hat or nametag, and yet it stands out from a distance. I am very pleased with it.

Also I am surprised, because wonder of wonders, in this little ol' town of Truro, I appear to already have 60 views to the ad--which I posted hours ago--and already have six members signed up on FB. I just know you're beaming with pride right now. I am too. I finally did it! Although something else I've learned from my first-hand experience with Babes Chilliwack is never to have very high hopes for people who say they're attending something on Facebook. It's meaningless till they show up at least twice in a row. But six people--surely at least one of them will come! And this is only today! I have at least a week till we do this thing. It'll probably explode like your first group you made and I'll have this big annoying problem of having a giant virtual group of people who I've never seen in person or some such.

Well, I'll complain about that in a blog post when it happens. Right now I'm living in the clouds! Yay I feel so proud and pleasantly shocked at the speedy response! Now just pray that another 3-4 year old shows up for my poor dear Evelyn. And I guess after my first park playgroup next week it's on to phase two for me (gulp): NETWORKING.

No comments: