Monday 24 October 2011

We're that kind of Special.

Dear Jen,

Today is a big day--if you operate on the metric system. Or, according to Brad, if you believe in statistics.

Apparently, if you make it to five years, your marriage will probably last the test of time.

Apparently.

So today, I got up at 6:00 with Gavin, who was (as is his habit lately) inconsolable for a good 30 minutes before I finally plunked him into his high chair and slapped some yogurt and banana in front of him. After a while I forced Brad to get up so I could have a shower alone while he watched the children. Once Brad got up, I had a shower with the children (alright it's not that dramatic. They have a separate tub--because we're fancy like that). Brad rushed off to school, and I didn't see him again until he came home at supper time. We ate our rushedly-made pita pizza, read scriptures, did After-Supper-Cleaner-Upper to some tunes (my sister's excellent idea), had a fun little Family Home Evening, rushed the kids up to bed, and then Brad sat down to study up for his calculus midterm while I did the dishes.

It was a really special day.

If you haven't figured it out yet, today is our 5th wedding anniversary!
Aww!

Okay I won't fool you into pitying me much longer. We decided to celebrate on Saturday because of Brad's big calculus midterm tomorrow. And Saturday was an excellent day. I know you'll love to see all the details, so I will share my anniversary day in photographs.

First thing, we checked out the "yard" sale going on at the Catholic church behind our house (which we discovered because when I looked out my window in the morning I could see the sandwich board advertising. Very convenient), from which we scored several excellent items, including, most excitingly, a rug for our cold bare livingroom--for only $20!

Then, because the weather was looking decent, we thought we'd check out the Five Islands area on the Bay of Fundy with the kids. This proved an excellent move for our anniversary celebration day, as everything hinged on the children being bedded by 7:00 pm sharp.
Great success.

So, after feeding the children a hasty McD's supper and whisking them off to dreamland, we began our special night. We got all dressed up, and headed downstairs for our candle-lit dinner of take-out pizza.
We bought dollar store candles, and Brad made a fashionable candle holder--or as he describes it, "functional".

Once our gourmet dinner was cleared away, we began our artistic renderings. I copied a photograph; Brad pulled his from his imagination.
You wouldn't believe it but we actually got those canvases (and paint and brushes) from the DOLLAR STORE! Incredible, I know. (Note: this is our living room wall. Hangin' 'em proud).

Finally, and I am sorry to say I have no pictures of this, for the product in question is already devoured, we gorged ourselves on Rolo ice cream (disappointingly few Rolo pieces--and the packaging even advertises  that it is "jam packed") and watched a movie from the cozy warmth of our bed.

Although not technically our anniversary date, that was a pretty excellent and special day! Not bad, hey?

Oh! I must add one post note though: today was special, but for an entirely unrelated reason. I had my first playgroup today, and guess what! Not zero, but one friend showed up! I would call that SUCCESS. Added bonus: She has two children, both five months younger than my own. So great to have a friend for Evelyn to play with!

Hope you had a good Jacqui's Anniversary Day. I checked my mail today, but that present you sent me hasn't arrived. I'll look out for it tomorrow.

Love,

Jacqui


No comments: