Friday 18 November 2011

Taking out some valuable ME time.

Dear Jen,

You may or may not be vaguely aware that I severely injured my foot Wednesday night--like, thought it was broken, got out Brad's air cast, hopping on crutches bad.

Don't ask. Let's just say it involved undeserved violent actions toward an innocent solid wood door caught in the middle of the action. Important word here being solid.

Anyway, so that night I was up for several hours writhing in pain, unable to sleep, until Brad had the brilliant idea to get me some acetamenophine from the bathroom. So I was pretty tired the next day.

Which is why I had a nap. It was excellent. I felt simultaneously like a bus had hit me and like vomiting for a couple hours afterward, but once that passed, I felt great (except for the still-injured foot)! Better yet, I managed to get to sleep by 10:00 that night. Yes, I was gearing up for the most excellently energy-filled Friday ever!

Except for one thing:

Gavin.

Gavin woke up randomly at midnight that night. The whole affair from recognition to hoping he'd fall back asleep to acceptance to wrapping and rocking him to getting back into bed only took about 20 minutes. But with all that extra sleep under my belt, my mind was far too active to drift off again. I was AWAKE. I tossed and turned for a couple hours, thinking about all the different crazy scenarios I could plan for the birth of my next child with the absence of midwifery care where I live. When I finally couldn't take it anymore, I got up, found my journal, and wrote in it for the first time since three days before I moved.

Side note: I try to keep up on journalling for posterity, but since Evelyn stopped taking naps, pretty much every entry is written on a night when I for some reason am up at 3 am and can't sleep. This is now officially the only time I have to myself!

After I finished writing, I decided to flip the pages back and read.

And now, finally, we arrive at the point of this post:

Dated Saturday, June 11th: "It has been a Chiasson-filled couple of days, and it's been lots of fun. Yesterday was, of course, running day. Jen and I started week 5 of our 13-week training program, and although I doubted, entirely intimidated by the hefty "day1" requirements, we did it! Great success! I just have to keep reminding myself that the program was very carefully designed specifically for non-runners. Plus I've been told of others who have done the program. So it can be done. All I have to do is one day at a time!
The run almost didn't happen--it took us over a half hour to get started because of awful kids. But we persevered and prevailed!

Jen and the kids came over after (yucky day--again I might add) and we had lunch and got changed and I turned on the feed of Brad's convocation LIVE! FROM ABBOTSFORD RECREATION CENTRE! Which, by the way, was so  awesome because the first part was boring speeches, through which I mostly chatted with Jen; and then after she left there was the presentation of all the Science students, through which I mostly cleaned up; and then I sat and watched Brad's teacher walk up to the podium wearing a Harry Potter scarf and cloak and carrying a sorting hat, then announce the first graduate, "Bradley Alexander the Great", then watch Brad step into the light holding a "HI MOM" sign; and then for the rest of it I posted a photo of me watching Brad on the computer on Facebook. I love live-streamed convocations!

Anyway, today we went to the zoo with the Chiassons, which was plenty fun, Great times! After we all came back for (if I may say so myself) a delicious meal of burgers, oven-baked fries and pineapple, and strawberry rhubarb sorbet for dessert. I was very pleased with our meal!

It was a good day, and the kids were good for most of it too."

I thought that might be a fun read. I can see that day at the Rotary Trail so clearly--like it was just five months ago...

Love,

Jacqui

No comments: