Thursday 9 February 2012

Things I Can't Believe I'm This Excited About

Dear Jen,

Item #124 on my list of Things I Can't Believe I'm This Excited About:

Hearing my 17-month-old tug at his diaper and say, "Buep" to me--before the poop has even exited his little bum to settle into the diaper.

To me, this means a big step toward the hallowed POTTY TRAINED status! He recognized and advertised his bowel movement before it even appeared!

Oh the life of a mother...

The story is even more exciting though, because I took advantage of our proximity to the toilet to carry him carefully over, pull down his diaper, and sit him on it. He was pretty freaked out, but fortunately by then the "event" was beyond, shall we say, retraction. So it plopped blessedly into the bowl, I didn't have to clean a dirty bum, and Gavin was mildly fascinated by seeing his masterpiece in the toilet where he had previously [repulsively] investigated everyone else's.

Here's an even better part to my disgusting yet exciting story: today he came up to me and just kind of stood there--you know what I mean--and I said, "Do you have to poopie?" He acknowledged my comment, "Buep." and I checked his diaper, seeing nothing, but smelling something funky going on. So I said, "Well, I don't know if it's just my imagination, but let's go sit on the potty!" So we went over, he sat--with less protest than yesterday--and then I watched him exert his little abdominal muscles to once again poop into the potty! I showed him again, did a high-five, cheered, told daddy, who gave him more high-fives and cheers, and I am basking in my second day in a row of no poopie diapers!

Not saying I plan on having a fully potty trained 18-month-old or anything. I am aware that the only thing that has made both these successes possible was my happening to be in the viscinity and attentive at the time (both of which I cannot guarantee to be the case at any random point in the day). But getting them to understand that you have to do that thing into there is half the battle, right?

I completely have the probably unrealistic goal of Gavin potty training himself like both my nephews (who had siblings only a little older than themselves using the toilet) did.

Cheer for the team!

1 comment:

Jen said...

You know... Masen's diapers have regularily been sending ME for the toilet and I was thinking back to what I did with Zach when I was pregnant with Masen... And you know what? Zach WAS pooping in the potty regularily when I was first pregnant with Masen which was when he was only 17-18 months.

Soooo... even though Zach wasn't fully trained for another year, the grossiest part was over. (Not that I felt that way when he was peeing all over the carpets, but whatever.) It IS possible and you should stick with it! Masen is no where near doing anything like that yet (he usually goes in his crib before we get him) and I am oh so jealous of you!

Awesome work Gavin! Poop on!